Welcome to the first, virtual hands-on OpenShift Developer Roadshow!
We've built 4 modules for you to follow. You can register for all 4 of them (which is highly recommended of course), or you can pick and choose the ones most appealing to you.
Part 1 - Nov 19: Optimizing exiting applications
Part 2 - Nov 26: Debugging, Monitoring and Continuous Delivery
Part 3 - TBC Jan '21: Control Cloud Native Apps with Service Mesh
Part 4 - TBC Jan '21: Advanced Cloud Native with Event-Driven Serverless
This first module guides developers on how to get started on their cloud-native journey, starting with monolithic application migration to a modern container platform using Red Hat's Kubernetes Platform, OpenShift, and modernizing applications using microservices based on Quarkus and Spring Boot.
- Competitive pressures require faster innovation and time to market to avoid being left behind
- Cost to retrain development & ops staff on new technologies
- Recruiting talented developers is challenging when depending on legacy technology
Developer / IT Challenges:
- Tight coupling of apps on an underlying platform makes change hard
- Lack of scalability, performance, & flexibility of existing apps built with legacy technology
- Re-architecting apps cannot be done overnight
Goal of module:
To show how to take an existing monolithic application and begin the process of migration and modernization by moving it off of a legacy Java platform and onto JBoss EAP, and then onto the cloud with OpenShift, using incremental steps to refactor the application to microservices and make use of OpenShift to effectively deploy and manage it at scale on the cloud.
Kevin Dubois, Senior Solution Architect, Red Hat
Also register for the OpenShift Developer Roadshow Part 2:
Debugging, Monitoring and Continuous Delivery
November 26th I 9.00am - 12:00pm